Thursday, March 15, 2012

Finally Packed

Well, the departure date for the cross country ride is fast approaching and I've finally finished packing.  Getting excited about the trip, but I'm a little worried about the amount of weight I'll be dragging across this great land of ours.  The bike with empty bags weighs in at 46.5 pounds.

Rivendell Hunqapillar - Ready to go

Add in 43.5 pounds of gear and I'm looking at a loaded weight of 90 pounds.  Yikes.

Front Left Bag - Clothes, toiletries and first aid: 10.1 Pounds.

Front Right Bag - Camp kitchen and bike tools: 10.4 Pounds.

Rear Left Bag - Cold weather gear, shoes and spare
tire & tubes: 9.7 Pounds.

Rear Right Bag - Tent, sleeping bag, etc.: 8.6 Pounds.  Sleeping
pad and tent pole will be strapped to the rear rack: 4.2 Pounds.

Handlebar Bag - Misc. daily use items: 3.5 Pounds.

Because of the weight, I decided to swap out my small 26-tooth chainring with an even smaller 24-tooth ring.  That will give me a slightly lower gear for climbing.  Maybe too small, with a 36-tooth large rear cog I might not even be able to go fast enough to stay upright.  Oh well, better too low a gear than not low enough, I'll let you know how it goes.

Another last minute change: new brakes.  Should I be changing out something as important as brakes at the last minute?  Probably not, but I'm sure they'll be fine ;-)

I also installed a nifty little device called an E-Werk.  The E-Werk is made by German Company Busch & Muller and will allow me to use the generator hub to keep my GPS and iPhone charged.  The generator hub also powers my headlight and tail light.  Who needs batteries?

E-Werk and headlight

E-Werk.  Output voltage and current are adjustable for use
with different devices

Generator hub and headlight

Schedule change: the storm that's been bringing some much needed rain to the west coast has forced us to revise our departure date.  Sunday's forecast calls for rain in San Diego and possibly snow in Alpine, our first night's stop.  Will we really be doing so much climbing on the first day that we could hit snow outside of San Diego?  Doesn't seem possible.  I'll have to talk to Jerry about that.  I suspect we'll make up that day on the road to get back on schedule.

Next step: Pack the bike in an Amtrak bike box.

No comments:

Post a Comment