Thursday, May 3, 2012

Day 46 - Poplarville to D'Iberville

Yay! No rain today. And no flats, we'd had flats 5 of the last 6 days (or was it 6 of the last 7, not sure).

Jerry and Michele stayed in for breakfast, but I ran over to Wards for bacon and eggs with grits where I meet the chair of the Mississippi Republican Party (he was behind me in line - I didn't notice what he ordered), or maybe we was the Chair of the County Committee, now that I think about it, we had a brief conversation about the upcoming Mississippi Party Convention and the state delegate distribution. Nice fellow, worried about Tea Party influence.

While I ate, Jerry had to repair a frozen link in Michele's chain. He swapped out the problem link with a quick link and the problem was solved. Maybe that counted as our mechanical for the day so we got a pass in the flats.

After about 20 miles we happened upon a small grocery at a fork in the road southeast of Silver Run, MS. About half a dozen people were sitting on the porch and they invited us to sit down and join them. Which we did. We had a grand time. We bought Gatorade, soda, chips and ice cream and Maudie (I hope I spelled that right), the proprietor, offered us some boiled peanuts, which were delicious. She then proceeded to help me with our route to D'Iberville. D'Iberville is off-route and apparently the route I designed would have had us on some dirt roads (don't tell Michele, she gets really nervous when I start talking about going off-route). I'm glad Maudie was there to set me right.

On our way into McHenry Jerry was chased by a dog, we get chased by a lot of dogs. Earlier in the day I was being chased and the dog was almost hit by a car going in the other direction. The dog chasing Jerry was not so fortunate, it was run over by a pickup. The dog was injured and ran off into the trees. Jerry tracked down the owner and hopefully everything is okay. Leash your dogs people!

After that excitement we settled down and rode on to Saucier for Poboy's and fries, shrimp for me, catfish for Jerry and Michele. I've been avoiding the catfish (slimy), but may I'll give it a shot.

Once in D'Iberville we walked over to Doris' Hot Tamales. Poor Jerry and Michele, I keep dragging them off to these random places, but I've been on the hunt for hot tamales ever since we got to Mississippi. I won't go into what differentiates a Mississippi hot tamale for other tamales, suffice it to say they're different.

Doris' was closed when we got there, we thought it might be, hot tamales are often sold out of people's homes, but R.J, the owner, saw us standing outside and offered to open the stand for us. A very nice gesture and we accepted, we found the folks in Mississippi to be very friendly. We ordered two dozen tamales and took them back to our hotel. One dozen for dinner, the rest for breakfast tomorrow. They were delicious. Thanks R.J.

No comments:

Post a Comment