Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Day 52 - Chipley to Quincy

Early start today to try and beat the rain. Thunderstorms forecast for Quincy after 2:00 pm and we'll enter the eastern time zone before we get there so that'll be 1:00 by our clocks.

I got hungry by the time we got to Marianna so we stopped at the McDonalds for a snack, sausage biscuit, my favorite, but not nearly as tasty as yesterday. That one from the gas station used a homemade biscuit, now I'm spoiled. Nice McDonalds though.

It was very, very humid today. Hot too.

We traveled some nice roads to Chattahoochee and passed over a bridge in front of the Lake Seminole Dam, unfortunately the shoulder was a little narrow so I couldn't stop to snap a photo, nice.

In Chattahoochee we went to the Divine Cafe for soul food: salisbury steak; turnip greens, mashed potatoes & gravy, sweet tea and peach cobbler for dessert (too sweet for me - and I like sweet). All served cafeteria style. The locals recommended the fried pork chops, but those weren't on the menu today.

We left lunch under ominous skies, but the rain never fell, at least not until we were safe & dry at our hotel. Then it poured. Watching the rain through a window is much nicer than riding in it.

After the hotel last night I was planning on something a little nicer. We pulled into the Royal Inn in Quincy, same paint scheme as last night, uh oh. How much? $30? seriously? Not again! I shouldn't have worried, the rooms were nice and much cleaner, perfectly satisfactory.

I'm finding the scenery to be a little boring, it's pretty and all, but it's tree lined highways all day everyday ever since we left Texas, except of course for Dauphin Island and our short time along the Gulf Coast. In the desert, and in the hill country and ranch land of Texas you can see the horizon. I miss that. It'll be nice to get to the Atlantic coast, then I'll be able to see the horizon, even if it's flat and blue.

1 comment:

  1. Mash potatoes and gravy that looks good to me / biscuit as well. Great photos. Agree with yu, I like big oak trees, that i CAN SEE THROUGH.

    HH.

    ReplyDelete