Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Day 44 - St. Francisville to Amite

Wow, I really didn't take any pictures today. One of the courthouse in Clinton, and one of an exhausted Jerry sitting on the sidewalk in front if the grocery store in Greenburg. That's it.

I don't know if that's a reflection on the scenic value of Louisiana or just because I'm running out if steam. Probably the latter because Louisiana is really quite beautiful. Looks manicured, in fact, like a giant golf course. I'm just ready to go home, we all are and today's ride was done in that spirit. Just do the miles. I expect attitudes will get better as we approach Florida.

We also haven't had a rest day in a while, that may be contributing to the attitude problem. We'll rest Saturday on Dauphin Island in Alabama, it's at the entrance to Mobile Bay. There are a couple if Civil War era forts guarding the entrance to the Bay and we want to check those out.

Don't get me wrong, we had some very nice roads today and a great breakfast at the B&B we stayed at last night. Easy, rolling terrain. All in all a good day.

The food was good today too. Breakfast, as I said, was great: bacon, eggs, grits, apple crepe, coffee, OJ. We stopped for a snack in Clinton, but all that was available was some gas station fried chicken and pocket pies (ground beef) under the heat lamps. Surprise, surprise, these items were very good, Michele went so far as to say it was one of her favorite meals of the trip. I think that's an exaggeration, but the food was a nice surprise. In Amite we went next door to Mike's Catfish Cafe. Only Michele had the catfish, I had fried oysters, Jerry just ate from the all-you-can-eat salad bar. Good stuff. Lemon refrigerator pie for dessert. That was so-so, should have skipped dessert.

Tomorrow should find us in Mississippi. Hmmm, maybe we are making some progress.

2 comments:

  1. Steve, how many more miles to St. Augustine, Fla. I looked up Dauphine Island -- Jerry and Michelle should enjoy that as there is a bird sanctuary there. I´m sure they know that. How long will you rest there - one or two days. It´s hard to believe you are so far along.

    Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bob Dylan will be disappointed that you won't be "stuck inside of Mobile with the Memphis blues again". But I guess birds are nice too.

    It is amazing how far you guys have gone. All you guys are my heros!

    G

    ReplyDelete