Saturday, May 12, 2012

Day 55 - Suwannee Valley Conservation Area to Gainesville

I'm really getting lazy about the whole picture taking thing.

One thing you can see, from the few pictures I took today, is that our relative positions on the road don't change much. Jerry takes the lead, followed very closely by Michele and I bring up the rear, wandering around, weaving back and forth, day dreaming, dropping back, speeding up and generally doing my own thing at the end of our little train.

That's not to say I haven't tried to make myself useful and pull at the front, but whenever I do the system seems to fall apart. I end up dropping them, or I try to adjust my speed to what Jerry and Michele are doing behind me and that just slows everybody down. Seems to work best in this configuration. I'll just have to work through my guilt about Jerry doing all the work.

Long stretch between meals today, fifty miles by my reckoning, but we finally arrived in High Springs and got burgers. Heck, the day was almost done by this point. Just 20 more miles and we were in Gainesville. I think these last 20 were the nicest of the day, we spent a lot of it under a canopy of trees. Pretty, and it helped to block the wind.

Looks like headwinds for the next couple if days, all the way to St. Augustine. Figures.

Dinner at Adams Rib Co. Ribs, chopped pork sandwich, collard greens and Mac & cheese. Yum.

Wonder how the Randonneurs are doing. Should be at Dimmick by now.

No comments:

Post a Comment