Wednesday, May 16, 2012

St. Augustine

Slept in today (Tuesday) until 9:30. What a treat. I wandered over to a Brazilian cafe near the motel looking for breakfast, but they don't open until lunch, bummer.

Jerry , Michele and I took our bikes to the LBS to have the bikes packed and shipped. $50 for packing, the shipping co. Will call later with the shipping cost. The guys at the bike shop couldn't (wouldn't?) say how much the shipping would be. Doesn't seem right, but what option did I have. Hope it's not too much.

After that I went to a Cuban restaurant for a sandwich with black beans and rice, which was very good, then visited the Castillo de San Marcos.

The Castillo I supposedly haunted, but I didn't see any ghosts, not even when I crawled through a small tunnel in to a empty little room deep in the Castillo. I crawled out to a small group that was very curious as to what a saw "nothing" I said, "just an empty room". They seemed relieved that there was little reason for them to crawl through on their hands and knees.

Also visited the oldest house in St Augustine. It dates back to the early 1700s. There was an earlier house on the site, but the British burned it down on 1702.

Finally went to the Brazilian place for dinner with Jerry and Michele. We all had very delicious feijoada and I had a caipirinha. Afterward Jerry and Michele went off to a birding lecture, I meet Lori and Dean for beer.

Very relaxing day. I'm both happy to be done and sad that it's over. It's complicated.

1 comment:

  1. Hey Steve! CONGRATULATIONS from Lynn, Jeff, Chadi and Ramsey at URS!!!!

    ReplyDelete