Monday, April 30, 2012

Day 43 - Simmesport to St. Francisville

I tried to take more pictures today.

We started off with a quick climb over the Atchafalaya River Bridge. That loosened up the legs. Most of the rest of the day was spent riding along the levees controlling the Atchafalaya and Mississippi Rivers. At one point we got off the bikes and walked up a levee road to look at the Mississippi. Should have ridden the Hunqapillar up that road, turned out we had to walk about a quarter mile to the river. We dipped our fingers in and walked back to the abandoned bikes.

In Morganza we took a break to grab a snack. I tried to get Jerry to order some cracklin, but he wasn't interested. Maybe the snouts turned him off. I wasn't that eager either.

After Morganza it should have been a short 18 miles to St. Francisville. That was when the ferry shuttled folks across the river. There's now the fancy new Audubon Bridge. Unfortunately the bridge is about 6 miles down river, that's an additional 12 miles we weren't counting on. Oh well.

St. Francisville is a neat town and was, for a brief 74 days in 1810, the capital of the West Florida Republic. I didn't even know the was a West Florida Republic. Did they teach me that in School? It was quickly annexed into the U.S.

Our lodging tonight is definitely a step up from yesterday, which was pretty sketchy. We're staying in the St. Francisville Inn, a B&B in one of the many old houses here (formerly the Wolf-Schlessenger House). Lots of cool old buildings here so we took a walking tour around town to check them out.

Freaky thing just happened, the floor lamp in my hotel room just turned itself on. Creepy! Hope this place isn't haunted........

With the old oak trees coveted in Spanish moss and the clouds passing over the moon this sure looks like the kind of place that would be haunted.

5 comments:

  1. Fantastic photos today. Difficult to describe how good they are, why I like them. Old Oad Trees, green grass, old buildings, mansions, churches, and all.

    hh

    ReplyDelete
  2. I forgot to mention the rivets. I lijke that. See that bridge. At the Univ, I designed bidge like this with rivets and or bolts.

    hh

    ReplyDelete
  3. This Mississippi and the new bridges, all exciting to me. The old grain elevator (with the vines) and the conveyor, those two items capture my whole life. Sherryl and I must travel this road soon.

    hh

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful scenery. Hope all is well.
    Claudia

    ReplyDelete
  5. West Florida! Awesome!

    ReplyDelete