Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Day 17 - Las Cruces Rest Day

Today I packed up my cold weather gear and mailed it home. Shouldn't need it anymore and there's no reason go drag it all of the way to Florida. Glad I had it though, everything that was sent home today was used at some point during weeks one and two.

Jerry's friends Ellie and Weldon drove down from near Albuquerque to spend the day with us. Jerry met them in 2008 when he traveled to New Mexico to work on the Obama campaign. We drove to Mesilla, one of the oldest towns in the southwest, to do some exploring and to eat lunch.

Billy the Kid was tried and convicted in the Mesilla Courthouse (he escaped, of course, to meet his end at the hands of Pat Garrett, the courthouse us now a gift shop). During the civil war Mesilla was the Capital of the Confederate Territory of Arizona. Surprising number of civil war references this early in the trip, we traveled on the Jefferson Davis Highway in Arizona and will be traveling in Jeff Davis County Texas in a couple if days.

At the Santa Rita Mine a few days ago, some folks from Las Cruces recommended we eat at La Posta in Mesilla, so we did. It was pretty good, but we've had better, I suspect that when it comes to Mexican food we've become spoiled.

Restocked at the local Walmart.

2 comments:

  1. I need some of that food! Keith is pressing me to do some miles with his fleche group on Saturday. He misses you on the team. Too bad about the wind.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sherryl and I will travel the road, eat at your goood restaurents.

    In the Surburban of course.

    I just worked three hard days on landscaping - planted 20 plants. David Moll helped one day. I have aches and pains.

    dad

    ReplyDelete