Saturday, April 28, 2012

Day 41 - DeRidder to Ville Platte

Not much to report today. More wind, bummer. Guess I should be used to it by now. Lots to see, but I seem to have lost my motivation to take pictures.

Wheat fields, rice fields and crayfish farms sure are scenic, well maybe not the crayfish farms, but they make lousy wind breaks. Where'd the trees go?

Stopped for a burger in Oberlin. We asked at the Shell Station where we could find a restaurant where we could sit down and eat. That was probably a bad idea because they served food. The folks at the Shell told us there was nowhere else in town.

Wait a minute. Didn't we just pass a restaurant? Sure enough, half a block back was a small restaurant. We ate there. Not bad. And we got great service from the woman behind the counter and her young granddaughter.

Before arriving in Ville Platte we briefly stopped to watch a crayfish farmer harvest the days catch. Interesting, I had an apple while we watched, tasty.

Once in Ville Platte we went the wrong way, adding a few miles to the day, but it let me find Floyd's Record Shop, specializing in Zydeco, Cajun & Swamp Pop. Too bad they were closed.

Dinner of crayfish étouffée and fried catfish. I'm not a big fan of catfish, but pretty good.

Lodging: Best Inn, Ville Platte. Michele was ready to pass on the place because of the yellow and punk paint scheme, but the rooms were okay so we stated.

2 comments:

  1. I like the photos, the country scenario, just like where I came from, makes me feel good.

    hh

    ReplyDelete
  2. Swamp pop. That sounds interesting. Hear any live music yet?

    G

    ReplyDelete