Saturday, April 21, 2012

Day 31 - Kerrville to Blanco

Off route today. instead of Comfort and Sisterdale we headed to Fredricksburg and Luckembach. Boy am I glad we went off route.

Fredricksburg is a neat little town, kind of touristy, but with a lot of charm, I'd like to go back to explore. We ate lunch at the brewery and saw admiral Nimitz's birthplace, which was right next door. No mention of our little freeway. The brewery was not open yet when we arrived so we even got a chance to look at some of the shops. Fun. Andrew and I floated the idea of ending the day here, but there was little enthusiasm for the idea from Jerry and Michele.

Another advantage of stopping in Fredricksburg is that I got a good chicken fried steak. Finally. I was beginning to think that I'd never find one.

After lunch and a couple if beers we headed off to Luckembach. I talked everyone in to going to Luckembach because Dad used to play Waylon Jennings Greatest Hits on the 8-track when we went on family vacations. It includes the song "Luckembach, Texas" which became one of my favorite songs. I thought it would be fun to get a picture of me there.

Luckembach is not really a town, but a concert venue. Jimmy Lee Jones was playing to the small crowd that was there. Looks like it would be a great place to hear some music. We were all glad we'd made the trip.

After that it was just a matter of getting to Blanco, over the rollers, some larger than others. It was a nice day to ride and nice roads, more traffic than is ideal, but nice none the less.

In Blanco we camped in the State Park. Texas seems to have really nice State Parks and this one was no exception. Jerry, Michele and Andrew went down I the river for a swim while I guarded camp (and took a nap). the shower and restroom facilities where really clean an comfortable.

We rode back into town for dinner at an Italian restaurant. Most folks we spoke with said it was the best place in town. I had the lasagna and it was pretty good. Back to camp and early to bed. After a little ice cream of course, purchased from a mini mart.

1 comment:

  1. Nothing says Texas like an antler-rifle casing pen!

    ReplyDelete