Sunday, April 15, 2012

Day 28 - Brackettville to Camp Wood

Finally, a tailwind. The day started and ended with headwinds, but in the middle, for about 20 miles, the route turned 90 degrees and we had a tailwind. It was wonderful!

The storm we were worried about last night never materialized, but this morning just after breakfast our luck ran out and we had about 20 minutes of pretty hard rain. What wasn't already packed got soaked. Everything is now laid out in my hotel room drying. Should all be dry by the time I have to pack up tomorrow morning.

We're now in the Texas hill country and everything is green and wildflowers are blooming at the roadside. We're amazed at how different the landscape is from just a couple of days ago. For lunch we had a picnic of left overs under a big oak tree.

We suffered through a couple of mechanical issues today: The replacement tire that Jerry purchased in Scottsdale developed a bulge and had to be taken out of service, it's a schwalbe crosstown which is more of a commuting tire than a touring tire, but it certainly should have lasted longer than that. Back to the backup tire, a 35mm Pasela TG that continues to serve him well.

While Jerry was replacing his tire we noticed that the adjacent ranch is for sale. Anybody interested?

Andrews broke two spokes on his rear wheel. I trued it up as best I could, hopefully it will hold until Kerrville where the wheel can be repaired. Kerrville is two days ride from here. I don't think it will make it, but we're hoping. If it doesn't, he'll have to have his dad come out and pick him up. That would be unfortunate. We're all enjoying his company.

The motel here in Camp Wood is deserted. There are only 5 or 6 rooms and we have three of them, no other guests so we lounged around outside of our rooms drinking beer and wiring on Andrews bike. Very relaxing.

For dinner we walked down to "Two Fat Boys BBQ". I had the pulled pork and BBQ Brisket. The brisket was too fatty for my taste and not nearly as good as the brisket at Curly's a few days back, but the pulled pork was great. Ate my meal with Dr. Pepper and Big Red, Big Red Andrew informed me is traditional for kids and others to drink with BBQ if they're not having beer. I find it too sweet ("disgusting" was Michele's pronouncement) and prefer Dr. Pepper which I drank in great quantities when I worked as a short order cook in High School. Now that we're in Texas I've found I still have a taste for it. Dr. Pepper was invented in Texas and still seems to be popular here.

3 comments:

  1. You may be a little early for the full wildflower bloom which can be spectacular around there. Bluebonnents and Indian Paintbrush everywhere. I'll be just outside of Kerrville at Mo's Ranch in a 3 weeks. Pulled port tasty delicious, can't wait.

    G

    ReplyDelete
  2. Steve, Kerrville, I know that name , area, from the past - my Houston days 1963. Tell me more about it. Then I know what I missed.

    Michelle's package, never arrived, wonder what happened???

    When do you get to a bike shop?? Get long distance Michelin tires. 40,000 mile type. My suggestion.

    Hasta Luego,

    (D&M)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Steve, this is George, I have a daily ritual of reading your blog. Your entries and photographs describe an interesting bike trip. I am proud of your strength, determination and courage to undertake this trip. Share my salutations to your team.
    You and the team be safe and always keep the weather forecast handy and keep watch of any tornado weather forecast. I hope your bike route is outside the tornado region. NY Times weather map show Southern Texas is outside the Tornado region, Northern Texas is in the Tornado region.
    I hope your Bike route is in Southern Texas and not in Northern Texas. Be Safe
    Best of Wishes
    George.

    ReplyDelete