Saturday, April 21, 2012

Day 32 - Blanco to Austin

More off route adventures today, and solo riding. I abandoned my compatriots and set off in my own, but only temporarily as I'll be seeing them tomorrow when we drive down to San Antonio with Andrew and we'll meet up again on the bikes in Bastrop on Sunday.

We started out of Blanco together and spent some time checking out the old courthouse (noticed three or four Haas' on the bricks listing "save the courthouse" contributors), but soon we separated as I charted my own course through Dripping Springs to Austin. Jerry and Michele will be staying with Andrew in Mountain City.

I ended up on an isolated country road and saw my first longhorn cattle. Cool! We saw an armadillo the other day too (dead, but they're nocturnal. What are you going to do? I'll count it).

Andrew had suggested that I eat lunch at the Salt Lick BBQ in Dripping Springs, "or is it Driftwood?" he added. I arrived in Dripping Springs, pulled out the trusty iPhone and got directions to the Salt Lick. Crap! It's in driftwood! "Well, it's still early" I thought "and Driftwood isn't too far out if my way. I can make up the extra 8 miles later."

Off I went to Driftwood. it was worth the extra effort too, a big BBQ place in the middle of nowhere it seemed and with live music to boot. I ordered lean brisket and pork ribs with bread, coleslaw and potato salad. It was really good, but I would have liked the sauce to be a little spicier.

The Hunqapillar continues to attract attention, while I was locking the bike to a wooden fence at the Salt Lick someone came up and said excitedly "that's a Rivendell isn't it. I have a Rivendell too.", happens all the time.

After lunch it was just a matter of getting to Austin. Before too long I was in the suburbs and things slowed down considerably. I had not plotted a route from Driftwood a I kept having to stop and refer to the iPhone to figure out where to go. To make matters worse, I couldn't seem to get a hotel reservation. Finally, after google maps routed me into a field with the promise of a bike path (there was none) I sat down on the curb and resolved to find lodging.

Wow, hotels are expensive here. Not compared to other Cities mind you, but I'd gotten used to spending $30 to $50 a night. I ended up spending over $100 a night at the Rodeway Inn (a budget chain). I lucked out and got their last room.

One problem down, now it was just a matter if getting out of the suburbs. A task that took a considerable effort, but eventually I was crossing over the Colorado River on Congress Avenue.

I figured since I was in Austin I'd swing by Mellow Johnny's, Lance Armstrong's bike shop. I wanted a new chain for the last half of the trip and I figured I'd check out Lance's place. It's a fancy shop to be sure, but they had the chain I needed and would install for $8. Great!

There was a lot to see here: people registering to a Leadville 100 qualifier, lots of rare bikes to see including a George Hincapie Tour de France time trial bike (Go George!) and a sweet old, steel Trek race bike that had been restored as a single speed townie (not for sale - I asked), seven Lance TdF jerseys, even a coffee shop (but not as cool as the coffee shop Cris, Herb and I have planned for our future bike shop in Alameda).

The problem came after the new chain was installed, I had left the shop and they had closed. I didn't notice right a way because a had a long conversation outside the shop with a transvestite bike taxi driver about the Hunqapillar, my trip and the amount I work involved in taxiing folks with a bike. Once I started riding there is a terrible grinding noise. I rode gingerly through UT campus and to my hotel. I'll have to get back to Mellow Johnny's to get this fixed, what ever it is.

Skipped dinner.

1 comment:

  1. Hey, I'm really enjoying the pics! Your Sis

    ReplyDelete