Thursday, April 26, 2012

Day 38 - Richards to Shepherd

Ate breakfast in Richards with Ernie and Doris this morning. The restaurant was open so I got some bacon and eggs. It'd been a while.

Then off into the Sam Houston National Forest in search of the elusive and endangered Red-Cockaded Woodpecker. We didn't find any, but we did find trees with their dens (if that's what they're called). If we'd hung around til sunset we probably would have seen one.

I ate lunch in New Waverly, but J&M weren't hungry and they rode on without me. I was waiting for a call from Dad anyway. I spent the rest of the day riding alone. Dad finally called while I was passing through Evergreen which was perfect timing as there was an abandoned gas station where I hid from the sun while we spoke.

Finally re-connected with J&M at the Hotel in Shepherd. We cleaned ourselves up and went down to "The Grill" for dinner. It was very good. I had BBQ brisket and jalapeƱo venison sausage with spicy mac n cheese and mashed potatoes. I didn't really like the sausage so I traded with Jerry for some I'd his chicken fried steak. That I liked a lot.

No comments:

Post a Comment